What's the best resource/app/website for forecasting wind in the Gorge?
Great question! Don't be fooled by Portland/NOAA/Windfinder wind reports for the Gorge. There are only two reliable sources for wind in the Gorge:
- ikitesurf.com - ikitesurf loves the Gorge, and we get a pretty good forecast from them. They tend to under-forecast the wind a bit, so just keep in mind that the wind often ends up coming in stronger than what they will report. If you take a lesson from us, they offer a really good discount for their annual wind forecasting service.
- TheGorgeismyGym.com - Temira is a Gorge local who knows wind like no other, and often her weather reports come with life advice. Take it or leave it, but her forecast is free on the website and by annual donation of $12 for it to come daily to your inbox.
There's no wind?
If we know there's not going to be wind, we will call you either the night before or 2 hours before your lesson to reschedule. We are usually able to reschedule lessons with 1-3 days depending on the forecast. You always receive 100% credit for your lesson when there's no wind.
There's too much wind?
Yes, this sometimes happens! When the wind averages above 30 or if the spread (range in mph between the lull and the gust) is twice the wind speed as the lull, then we will often reschedule lessons. Gusty winds are the norm and are actually good to learn in, but too much and you're just not having a good time. We are usually able to either push you back to later in the day when the wind can mellow out or reschedule lessons with 1-3 days. You always receive 100% credit for your lesson if there's too much wind.
I need to cancel my lesson.
We ask that you cancel with some notice to give us an opportunity to fill your slot. Last minute cancellations can be challenging for us to fill that spot. That said, our cancellation policy is as follows:
- made 48 hours prior to your lesson are free of charge.
- made within 48 hours of your lesson incur a $100 fee from the lesson total.
- No-shows cost the lesson, so make sure you can come or call to cancel 2 days in advance!
I can't use the rest of my lessons. (Refund / Credits)
It's ok! We happily issue 100% credit for unused lessons. Lesson credits are transferable and can be used up to the following summer season. If you would prefer a refund instead, we can issue you a refund for the amount of your lesson minus a $15 admin fee.